Tuesday, December 13, 2011

(was) so happy to be back in london

i noticed that i'd written these exact words 3 times in my diary on the days I was in London... why? along with the bundle of emotions of finally arriving there at 6pm on Friday night, after being in airports since 4am Wednesday morning in Peru, there were things that made me smile, happy feelings of being back somewhere I had enjoyed, and the excitement of seeing friends.

The lead up had been emotional, with delays, long waits, rebooking of flights, and only snatches of sleep. But... sitting on the DLR from london city on my way into Oxford Circus, holding to me my backpack of
worldly goods and just grinning at people in the tube... I was super stoked, in 1 hour I'd be happily crammed into a soho bar with my friends hearing all about what they'd been up to the past year.

Emerging out of the tube at Oxford circus, it took me about 7 bewildered seconds to orientate myself towards Kingley Stret using fcuk and regent street as markers, and then off I went backpack in tow to the bar among the beautiful and well dressed. stories were swapped, g&ts drunk with much laughter, and although feeling just a tad hungover, the following morning walking from Felipe's house to Southfields tube I revelled in how beautiful London can be.

Just some lil moments that came upon me during my 30hours in London...
  • really worrying whether flushing such luxurious thick toilet paper would block the pipes
  • the wonderful cold, crisp air, free of dust
  • bright winter sunshine
  • dogs on leashes
  • no stray dogs hunting for food
  • hearing all the different languages
  • being able to understand the spanish conversations
  • admiring the beautiful boots, handbags and coats worn by londoners going about their daily lives
  • preparing to speak spanish to a cashier, or saying permiso instead of excuse me
  • being able to drink water straight from the tap
  • undertanding all of every announcement
  • seeing every culture of people around me
  • greenery! lush winter greens
  • the xmas cheer especially around Hampstead
  • back in old stomping grounds
  • feeling heart palpitations of being in my favourite clothes shops
  • remembering that it really does take over an hour to get anywhere in london

It was really wonderful to see all you guys again - big hugs to Felipe, Victoria, JP, Mike, Elaine, Dan, Julian, Anna, Yulia, Neil, Catherine and Chris. Bummed I missed seeing Hilga and Gabs, but there's next time
hopefully!

Cheers from a rather greyer but beautiful Wien:)

No comments:

Post a Comment